Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Super Bowl XLVII Predictions

I normally make college football predictions, but it's time to make a prediction for the biggest game of all... and all the hoopla surrounding it.

PREGAME PREDICTIONS

Easy prediction: a Harbaugh will lift the Lombardi Trophy.
- The debate over whether to call it the "Harbowl" or "Sup-Harbowl" or something else will get old after about 30 seconds.

- I won't be watching. By Super Bowl Sunday, every pregame angle has been done. Let's play.

COMMERCIAL PREDICTIONS

I'm sure I could go somewhere online and see a list of Super Bowl commercials and maybe even watch most of them, but where's the fun in that? I'd rather be in the dark and make predictions. Also note: links are to old commercials, not spoilers.

- Bud Light will deliver some solid humor early on... like this.

- Coke will have an over-produced commercial that will be neither funny nor cute. Like this

- GoDaddy will have a steamy commercial (probably with Danica Patrick) that tells you to go online, where it gets even hotter.

- Everyone who goes to GoDaddy.com to see the "hotter" scene will be very disappointed.

- The Nike spot with Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy was great, and I'm surprised it was released a few weeks ago instead of debuting as a Super Bowl commercial. This makes me think there will be a sequel during the big game.

- We'll see a commercial with McKayla Maroney being impressed with something. The Olympics ended over five months ago. I'm surprised we haven't seen her cash in on that meme yet, but I think the Super Bowl is the ideal time to do it.

- Ranking for most-promoted CBS shows that we'll be tired of by the end of the night: 1. The Job, 2. Vegas, 3. Elementary (which, by the way, is a solid show)

IN-GAME PREDICTIONS

Kaepernick's been on fire. I think he keeps it going.
- Tom Crean will be there, and I'm setting the over/under on cutaways at 9.5.

- I'm setting the over/under on Alex Smith cutaways at 11.5.

- Mentions of the phrase "deer antler" will be set at 1.5.

- The murders Ray Lewis were linked to in 2000 will not be mentioned. (Yes, I know the charges were dismissed.)

- We will see three instances of Kaepernicking.

Let's see, have I left anything out?

Oh yeah, the game itself.

I like the 49ers 28-24. Kaepernick has been on fire, and the 49ers' defense will outplay the Ravens' defense.

- Jim Nantz's clearly scripted line when the game ends: "And the 49ers have struck gold."


No comments:

Post a Comment