Thursday, August 22, 2013

College Football Freshmen to Watch

After being basically in hibernation for the summer, I've decided to revive my blog for college football season. I'll get it going by cross-promoting with my day job, producing a show called Sports Stars of Tomorrow.

The show focuses on rising high school stars who hope to be big names on the college and pro levels. In the past, the show has featured guys like Jadeveon Clowney and Andrew Luck.

For this post, I'll run down ten players we featured last year (my first on the show) who I think will make an impact in college football sooner rather than later.

10. Sefo Liufau, Colorado - The QB from Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma, WA, is my sleeper of this group. He may not have gotten a lot of hype in high school and won't get much more at Colorado, but I think he has the tools to be a very good college QB. He might start this season as a backup, but I think he'll be starting in Boulder soon enough.

9. Dymonte Thomas, Michigan - The Wolverines brought in a strong class that included Shane Morris and Ben Gedeon, but Thomas may be the guy who makes the earliest impact. The defensive back is working his way up Michigan's depth chart, and I think he'll see the field pretty early.

It's unclear how soon he'll play, but Max Browne will be a star.
8. Max Browne, USC - The only reason I don't have the 2012 Gatorade High School Football Player of the Year higher is because he's in a crowded QB situation. Browne has all the talent to start under center for the Trojans, and I'm sure he eventually will for at least two seasons. He's a smart, well-spoken kid with leadership skills and a great arm.

7. Joey Bosa, Ohio State - The son of an NFL player, Bosa has out-of-this-world athleticism for his size (6'5" 270). I'm not sure how much he'll play as a freshman on a national title contender like the Buckeyes, but I can't imagine there are too many guys on the roster with higher ceilings than Bosa. If Bosa adjusts quickly to the demands of the college game, he could play a decent role this year. I fully expect he'll be a household name among Buckeye fans before his days in Columbus are done.

6. Greg Bryant, Notre Dame - For all the talk about the Irish losing QB Everett Golson and LB Manti Te'o, don't forget the Irish graduated their two leading rushers: Cierre Wood and Theo Riddick. The window is wide open for a five-star back like Bryant to contribute early and often. Also watch for fellow freshman Jaylon Smith, who could help fill the void left by Te'o at linebacker. Insert your own joke about the void of Lennay Kekua.

5. Jared Goff, California - The freshman has already won the starting quarterback job for the Bears. His high school coach confidently called him an NFL quarterback. Maybe he's right. Goff has an NFL frame (6'4, 205) and has been praised for his accuracy.

4. Derrick Henry, Alabama - The record-breaking running back from Yulee, FL, will just be the next NFL back to come through Nick Saban's program. Ingram, Richardson, Lacy, and Yeldon have all played key roles in Alabama's three titles under Saban. This huge, powerful back will follow in their footsteps and do an outstanding job.

3. Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss - Everyone is picking this guy to be a star, and so am I. He's the next big thing at defensive end. After Clowney is done terrorizing SEC QB's, Nkemdiche may be the most feared pass rusher in college football.

I see big things ahead for Thomas Tyner at Oregon.
2. Thomas Tyner, Oregon - Here's where I go out on a limb a little, putting Tyner ahead of guys like Henry and Nkemdiche. The blazing fast running back from Aloha, OR, is a perfect fit for the Ducks. He may be behind De'Anthony Thomas and Byron Marshall on the depth chart, but that system has room for lots of athletes. I think Tyner is too talented to keep on the sideline too long. He'll earn his spot and make some plays as a freshman before eventually becoming a star in Eugene.

1. Su'a Cravens, USC - The do-everything star from Vista Murrieta, CA, will play defensive back at USC. The Trojans are hurting for depth due to sanctions, and talented freshmen like Cravens should see the field early and often. Cravens looks like a future NFL corner to me, and I think he'll play very well as a freshman.

Journalists are supposed to be unbiased, but of course I pull for the kids I have the pleasure of meeting while producing Sports Stars. Good luck to all the players who have been on the show.

I'll be back soon with a look at my games to watch for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment