Sunday, February 12, 2012

I Can Survive Without Football... For Now

It's our first weekend without football since August. Most people are bummed. Some are complaining on Facebook and Twitter about what they are going to watch or do. Others are already starting the countdown to kickoff this fall.

Me? I'm good.

I don't hate football. I like it very much, but I'm okay with the break. I'd like to enjoy a few other things, give myself some time to miss football, and I'll be anxious for it to start again come August.

I need some time to appreciate college basketball. I need March Madness. I need my baseball. I need to work on my golf swing... a lot.

I need a break from Sunday morning preview shows. I need a break from Tebow Mania. I need a break from complaining about the BCS.

Maybe it's because I went to a college that didn't have football. Maybe it's because I work in sports television and football can be a grind, but I'm comfortable with a little football hiatus.

The offseason gives football players a chance to rest up and come back better than ever, much like a rainy day waters the flowers so those sunny, 80-degree days look even better. So, while the rain may not be what you want, know it's necessary sometimes.

I'll enjoy the football offseason because there are a lot of other sports I like to catch up on. When August gets here, though, I'll be anxious for football just like the rest of you. That's when the offseason rain stops and that beautiful, sunny football season will look as good as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment