Tuesday, October 1, 2013

College Football Picks: Week 6

No, my blog hasn't been shut down. I'm back at it.

I'm nothing if not consistent. Another week of 8-2 on winners. That's three in a row. The spread was tricky because Vegas nailed two on the button, resulting in two ties. So, I was 5-3-2 there.

Texas (-9) at Iowa State (Thursday)
Strange things can happen in Ames, especially at night games. Texas and Mack Brown, though, have their backs against the wall. They hear the calls for change and that people have lost faith in the program. With Oklahoma looming next week, Texas can't afford to be caught looking ahead. Being a Thursday night game and considering how these two teams have looked this year, I think there's a chance this game is very sloppy. In the end, though, Iowa State should make a few more mistakes and Texas will pull away late.
The pick: Texas 27-17

#12 UCLA (-5) at Utah (Thursday)
I know Utah can be a tough place to play, but this line seems really low to me. UCLA looks like a legit top 15 team to me, and Utah seems kind of "middle of the pack in the Pac-12." The Bruins should be just fine on this trip... I think. Thursday night games are tricky. Still going with my gut.
The pick: UCLA 35-17

Georgia Tech at #14 Miami (-5.5)
Miami looks to be the top contender to win the ACC Coastal division. This is a chance to prove it. Georgia Tech was not impressive last week at home against a Virginia Tech team that I assumed had taken a big step back. Maybe I was wrong about VT, and maybe I'm wrong about Miami; but I think the Hurricanes will make a solid statement at home.
The pick: Miami 38-21

#6 Georgia (-10.5) at Tennessee
After one of the biggest wins of his career, Aaron Murray
needs to avoid a letdown this week at Tennessee.
There is some serious letdown potential here for Georgia: going on the road after escaping a tough (yet overall successful) first month of the season. Georgia now appears to have a very manageable road to Atlanta, where a win in the SEC Championship may mean a ticket to the National Championship Game.
But they still have to win every game between now and then. The Bulldogs may be without Todd Gurley, who is day to day with an ankle injury. Even without him, Georgia's offense is explosive and loaded with talent. I don't think Tennessee, even at home, will be able to keep up.
The pick: Georgia 42-21

TCU (+10.5) at #11 Oklahoma
Although it was against a bad SMU team, TCU looked to finally hit its stride last week. Unfortunately for them, Oklahoma is also getting better. Blake Bell's confidence is growing, and it may continue at home.
TCU, though, won't get embarrassed. The Frogs will play well in this game, so I'll take the 10.5 points. I just think Oklahoma is one possession better.
The pick: Oklahoma 31-24

Missouri at Vanderbilt (-2)
It's the last time we can say it: James Franklin vs. James Franklin. The Missouri QB is a senior, and... well... with USC (and maybe Texas) being open, who knows how long Vanderbilt will have its coach. Believe it or not, Mizzou is the only unbeaten team in the SEC East, but this is the Tigers' first SEC game of the season. While Mizzou has a future NFL receiver in Dorial Green-Beckham, Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews looks pretty tough to me. He may outshine the highly-touted DGB in this one. I'll take the home squad.
The pick: Vanderbilt 42-35

#15 Washington at #5 Stanford (-7)
While most people assume the Stanford/Oregon winner will win the Pac-12, this is a huge opportunity for Washington to make us rethink that. It's the beginning of a brutal back-to-back for the Huskies: at Stanford this week and home for Oregon next week. Two wins will have people in Seattle talking BCS. Two losses will keep the Huskies a notch behind the two elite programs out west.
Stanford just looks so tough to me, and I think the Cardinal will get better and better. We even got a glimpse of Barry J. Sanders last week. Washington will play well, but Stanford will play better.
The pick: Stanford 40-31

Notre Dame vs. #22 Arizona State (-5.5) (in Arlington, TX)
Notre Dame will be rocking some fancy Shamrock
Series uniforms in Texas. How will the offense look?
Arizona State put the final nail in Lane Kiffin's coffin at USC, and it's no surprise to see that offense as a favorite against Notre Dame. The Irish offense has yet to look all that impressive. We did see Andrew Hendrix play more at QB last week, and I think that's just the beginning of Brian Kelly's moves at quarterback.
In Tommy Rees's defense, it's not all his fault. The defense definitely misses the seniors from a year ago.
I'm excited for this game, though, because I'll be there. I'll be tailgating - peacefully - and I'm hoping to see a good game. I'm trying to come up with a logical reason why Notre Dame will win. I'm struggling to come up with one. Barring a breakthrough on both sides of the ball for the Irish, I think Arizona State's offense will be too much.
The pick: Arizona State 38-31

West Virginia (+27.5) at Baylor
After looking like they might finish right down there with Kansas in the Big 12, West Virginia showed signs of life last week with a nice win over Oklahoma State. The Mountaineers may have found their QB in Clint Trickett.
Baylor's offense is explosive and has put up video game numbers this year. The Bears' competition, however, has been lousy. This is step up, but I'm not sure how much.
Look for WVU to be efficient on offense and keep that Baylor offense on the sideline, but it won't be enough. The Bears will win at home, but not by four touchdowns.
The pick: Baylor 42-24

Ohio State at Northwestern (+7)
Northwestern fans have had this game circled on the calendar, and so have fans who don't like Ohio State. This and the Michigan game are the only two games left in which there's a decent chance Ohio State could lose. College GameDay will be in campus, and Northwestern fans will be in a frenzy. I think Pat Fitzgerald's guys will play a spirited game and be in it all night. I just think Ohio State's talent will rip their hearts out at the end.
The pick: Ohio State 31-27

No comments:

Post a Comment